Who Suffers From Depression?
In the United States in 2020,
Depression was most common among people aged
21 millionadults had at least one major depressive episode2
Symptoms of Depression1
Depression can look and feel different for everyone. Below are possible symptoms a healthcare professional may ask about as well as how long you have been experiencing them. For a depression or major depressive disorder diagnosis, a patient must experience 5 or more of these symptoms during the same 2-week period (one of the symptoms being either depressed mood or loss of interest or pleasure in something they once enjoyed).
Only a healthcare professional can make a diagnosis, so be sure to tell them about all of the symptoms you are experiencing.
- Sad, anxious, or “empty”
- Hopeless or pessimistic
- Guilty, worthless, or helpless
- Disinterested or dissatisfied with hobbies or activities
- Moving or talking more slowly
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
- Problems sleeping
- Appetite and/or weight changes
- Low energy levels
What Causes Depression?
Depression may be caused by a number of things, including1:
Other medical disorders
Is Your Depression Getting Better?
There are a variety of ways healthcare professionals (HCPs) treat depression. Therapy, medication, or both may be something your HCP suggests.1
Antidepressants are a specific type of medicine that works on the chemicals in your brain that help control mood.1
WELLBUTRIN XL has been prescribed for 20 years and counting to people suffering from depression.3,4 Clinical trials noted a low frequency of weight gain* and orgasm dysfunction.3,5
*WELLBUTRIN XL is not indicated for weight loss.
- National Institute of Mental Health. Depression. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml. Accessed May 10, 2023.
- National Institute of Mental Health. Major depression. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/major-depression.shtml. Accessed May 10, 2023.
- WELLBUTRIN XL (bupropion hydrochloride extended-release) Prescribing Information. Bausch Health Companies Inc.
- Food and Drug Administration. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/appletter/2003/21515ltr.pdf. Accessed May 10, 2023.
- Clayton AH, Croft HA, Horrigan JP, et al. Bupropion extended release compared with escitalopram: effects on sexual functioning and antidepressant efficacy in 2 randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67(5):736-746.